Friday, August 28, 2009

Ergonomic laptop stand

When it is an option, I find it productive to alternate work from home and at the office. It helps me ignore the workplace to focus on my work. However, although the office is designed for work, home is not. The sofa is the most comfortable place to sit, but to hold the laptop a regular table is too high and a coffee table is too low. I use iLap but it does not last the whole day without straining my back and arm muscles.

In fact many homes have a designer laptop stand perfectly suited for the sofa : the plain old-style clotheshorse. An arm placed nearly horizontal makes a sturdy stand. Its strings have a solid grip with the lower angles of the MacBook screen shell. Its height and leveling can be adjusted by displacing elements with the help of pliers. I moved the central binders one level higher to spread the legs and lower the whole thing, and I moved the platform one level down to have it horizontal at the right height. It is slightly flexible and surprisingly comfortable. At least I have written this whole article without having to complain about it.

Now, seriously, to ventilate you laptop and keep it cool, how can you beat a clothes airer?

No comments:

Post a Comment